In this edition of #StartingUpWith, we have Aashish Mehta, Co-founder and CEO of TransferFi and Dr
Mohammad Reza Vedady, Co-founder and CTO of TransferFi. TransferFi aims to revolutionise power
transmission with the world’s first wireless power network. Read on to find out how TransferFi is
creating the next generation of power transmission.
- What is the story behind your startup?
- TransferFi was started based on the founders’ wish to create technology that can help
and revolutionise society. They believed that if it wasn’t going to impact the world in a
big way, it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start a company. Co-founders Aashish and Dr Reza
met through the Entrepreneur First program. On the very first day of meeting it was very
clear to them that wireless power transfer could hugely impact more than one-seventh
of the world’s population by providing power access to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- What was the biggest challenge faced by your startup, and how was it resolved?
- As with all startups, obtaining initial funding to build a team and carry out R&D was
challenging. We were fortunate to have investors who trusted us to develop the world’s
first wireless power network. We were also fortunate to build a great team comprising
visionaries working towards creating the next generation of power transmission.
- What was your startup’s proudest moment?
- Our first milestone was being able to transfer power over 55 meters. Currently,
TransferFi has far exceeded the performance of world leaders in far-field wireless power
transfer, showcasing more than 100x efficiency improvement over competitors. This was
featured in National Geographic’s documentary, City of the Future: Singapore.
- What is your collaboration with EcoLabs about?
- We are honoured to be recognised as a Singapore-based energy startup supported by
EcoLabs. EcoLabs has provided us with connections, testbed sites, as well as business
and investor opportunities to help us successfully commercialise and scale our
- Where do you see your startup in 1/2/3 years, and what part can EcoLabs play in this?
- We see a world of distributed sources of energy untethered from cabling infrastructure,
where anyone can have access to power from anywhere, anytime. We hope that TransferFi’s wireless power technology will enable long-range high-power
transmissions in the future, bringing renewable energy to third-world countries without
the use of cabling and costly infrastructure. We also hope to facilitate mass sensor
deployments in smart cities and buildings to maximise energy efficiency and achieve a
net-zero carbon footprint. EcoLabs will play an important role in connecting us to these
- Describe your startup in one word, and why.
- Future - This is the time after the present. We are threading the unknown and working towards what we believe is to be a better tomorrow.
Find out more about TransferFi here.