In this edition of #StartingUpWith, we have Shin Ng, Co-founder and CEO of Rushowl Singapore.
Rushowl aims to become the leading digital transportation infrastructure in Singapore to help private
bus companies digitise their operations. Read on to find out how Rushowl is realising its vision of a
- What is the story behind your startup?
- Believe it or not, I was once a private bus driver! I vividly remember that when I was collecting my
first paycheck at the company's office, I realised that private bus companies are mostly filled with
sales and operations personnel, and thus are unable to digitise their ride products for passengers
despite having a huge transport fleet size. Since then, I worked on RushOwl with the intention to
become a digital transportation infrastructure to help these companies digitise their operations.
- What was the biggest challenge faced by your startup, and how was it resolved?
- The biggest challenge RushOwl faced was at the prototype stage when we had little to none of a
track record. Every customer I met had the same question: "Who are you and why should I use you,
especially when you don't have many experiences to show?" It was a particularly tough time for us
to garner a significant test case to showcase our capabilities. My team and I persevered and
managed to come across SMRT's private bus division, Strides, who believed in us and gave us many
opportunities to implement our technologies. This immediately attracted other industry players to
follow suit. We remain very thankful to Strides to date.
- What was your startup’s proudest moment?
- RushOwl's proudest moment happened recently when we were mentioned in a Forbes article for
our work as an Inter-City Mobility player. We did not reach out to Forbes for any PR efforts before
the publication of the article, so that was a pleasant surprise for us!
- What is your collaboration with EcoLabs about?
- Working closely with Ryan Jin (Lead, Smart Cities & Future Mobility at EcoLabs) and team, we are
both honoured and happy to partner with EcoLabs’ future mobility initiative and have the
opportunity to showcase and testbed our technologies across APAC as an industry partner. We
believe that together with EcoLabs, we will be able to push for projects that will progressively bring
the society towards a car-lite future, where 10 taxi trips can be consolidated into 1 comfortable,
stress-free bus ride!
- Where do you see your startup in 1/2/3 years, and what part can EcoLabs play in this?
- RushOwl aims to become the leading digital transportation infrastructure in Singapore in the next 3
years. We believe that commuting data, rather than vehicular assets, are more important than ever
in creating transport lines that truly adapt to the needs of our daily commuters. We believe that
together with EcoLabs, RushOwl will be able to expand the various Inter-City Mobility initiatives to
- Describe your startup in one word, and why.
- Rush (with quality). As a start-up, we do regular code sprints and product innovations consistently to
make sure that we create the best products for our dear passengers.
Find out more about Rushowl here.