In this edition of #StartingUpWith, we have Dr Stanley Yip, Co-Founder and CEO of NanRise Pte Ltd. NanRise focuses on accelerating technological innovation commercialisation in urban sustainability in the AIC region (ASEAN, India and Greater China). Read on to find out how NanRise has been forging and supporting regional partnerships to drive tech innovations in the area of urban sustainability.
- What is the story behind your startup?
- We started as a spin-off company from Nanyang Technological University (NTU)’s EcoCampus programme, an incubator and accelerator programme sponsored by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) to commercialise technological solutions for urban sustainability. Currently, we are focusing on two areas: (1) Providing services to bring together technological innovation partners from China and Singapore for collaborations and vice versa, and (2) Developing technological solutions and applications for urban sustainability.
- What was the biggest challenge faced by your startup, and how was it resolved?
- The challenge (and also the opportunity) lies in encouraging collaborations between the technology commercialisation ecosystems (tech firms, investors, governments and users) in Singapore and China to uncover and maximise the potential commercial values to be generated by working together in the global market. This is also the business focus on NanRise. We have achieved some initial success in building working platforms that link the two ecosystems together.
- What was your startup’s proudest moment?
- We are proud of what we are doing and our achievements every day. For example, NanRise facilitated the signing of an MoU between NTU and China’s Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MOHURD), which commits China and Singapore to a collaboration to promote
sustainable urban development. This MoU will also enable spin-offs from research collaboration projects, industry networking opportunities and study visits to Singapore for Chinese officials.
- What is your collaboration with EcoLabs about?
- There are two parts to our collaboration with EcoLabs: (1) We are EcoLabs’ channel partner, so we facilitate collaborations between EcoLabs and the China government, as well as tech firms
and enterprises from China; (2) We are a tech startup with extensive experience in developing urban solutions in the areas of data analytics, green buildings, energy and smart cities, and we are also one of the tech startup partners supported by EcoLabs.
- Where do you see your startup in 1/2/3 years, and what part can EcoLabs play in this?
- NanRise will begin to generate profit to shareholders this year. In the next 3 years, we will have built 3 to 5 business partnerships with tech firms in China which have great potential and
competitive edge to compete in the global market. We will continue to use Singapore as a base and work with Singapore-based enterprises to make this happen.
- Describe your startup in one word.
- It’s difficult to use one word – but in short, I will say “Successful Technology Commercialisation through Global Collaboration”. This is what we do and how we perceive the market.